Polio Eradication: Kabul, Afghanistan (29 Jun – 6 July, 2012)
Title: Support to the Independent Review Mission of the Polio Eradication Initiative in Afghanistan
PHSL Consultant: Carl Tinstman
Objectives: PHSL Consultant to serve as team leader for review of epidemiological situation of polio in Afghanistan in order to understand the upsurge of polio cases.
- Evaluate for each infected district / province the primary challenge(s) to achieving sufficient population immunity to interrupt the remaining poliovirus transmission
- Estimate the risks, consequences and responses to the spread of transmission outside the known reservoirs in the country including the international spread of wild poliovirus.
- Determine the factors critical for the campaign quality by reviewing (but not limited to) the management, supervision and implementation of SIAs.
- Propose area-specific actions and strategies for addressing the primary challenge(s) and any other major factors that are compromising population immunity and establish a plan to ensure these are fully implemented by district, provincial, national authorities.
- Outline actions WHO, UNICEF, and other GPEI stakeholders should take including advocacy at the sub-national, national and international levels to support implementation of the area-specific strategies, stop transmission and reduce the risks of international spread
Client: WHO EMRO